Crawl Space Insulation in Arlington, McLean & Northern, VA
Crawl Space Insulation In Arlington, McLean & Northern, VA
You might not think about your crawl space very often, but that small space under your home can lead to issues far beyond its size. Crawl spaces under homes are ideal harbors for dampness, mold and pests. The humid soil surrounding the crawl space contributes to the space becoming damp, which then makes it a prime location for mold and pests alike.
Think this damp space is isolated and doesn’t affect the interior of your home? Think again. The natural airflow of a home is from bottom to top (ground to sky). As your home naturally breathes, the moist air (and everything in it) flows up and into the living areas of the home.
Taking the time to properly insulate and air seal your home’s crawl space will help cut down on these issues down the line and saves you energy on your very next bill. Our skilled insulation team at Southland Insulators has the experience to help you determine the best method for insulating and air sealing your crawl space, helping make you and your family more comfortable in your home.
Crawl Space Insulation Process
There are three steps to properly air sealing and insulating a crawl space:
- Drain Fabric
- Prevents the crawl space liner from "sticking" to the soil
- Enhances water drainage beneath liner
- We use 100% polypropylene fibers that won't rot and decay
- Cushions the floor of the crawl space to protect the liner, hands and knees
- Seals out moisture and soil gases
- Unaffected by storage items and human traffic
- We utilize a multi-ply, 22 mil liner that has a 25-year manufacturer's warranty
- Allows the walls of the crawl space to breathe
- No nesting support for insects or rodents
- Won't support mold growth
- Can be installed to your specific choice of R-value
Benefits of Crawl Space Insulation Installation
Taking the time to enhance your home insulation system by adding crawl space insulation and air sealing has a host of benefits for you and your home. The most obvious benefit is increased energy efficiency due to enhanced home insulation and air sealing. By insulating and sealing the crawl space, you’re keeping that air out of your home and reducing the amount of air your HVAC system has to heat or cool.
Air sealing and insulating your home’s crawl space also helps create a healthier, more comfortable living environment by reducing the ability for mold to grow in the area and cutting down on the air’s ability to seep into your home. The crawl space can also be used as an additional storage space once it is insulated, because it will stay clean and dry.